1966 GMC Suburban September Updates

1966 GMC Suburban Frame off resto – MONTHLY UPDATES
Purchased 1-21-2021

Day I brought the Suburban home | January | February | March | April | May | June
July | August | September | October
Some of the parts bought

Some of my other projects –
My 1966 GMC Suburban ” Custom” Project (started January 2021)
My 1963 GMC Suburban “Custom” (FOR SALE) Fauxtina/Patina paint job FS pageGalleryVideo
My 1972 Montego GT 429 / 521

My 1973 Montego MX (see monthly updates toward the top once you get to the page)
My 1966 Chevy C-10  (see monthly updates toward the top once you get to the page)

My 1977 Trans Am Buccaneer Red
My 1963 Pro Street C10 (back halved frame off I did this back in 1992) Video
Some of my other cars and trucks
My YouTube Channel (how-tos, projects, paint jobs…)

September 1st. Ordered a roll of 3/8″ copper/nickel tubing to be used for the fuel line. Holley recommends 3/8″ ID, but I couldn’t find any. I had read that the 3/8″ OD will work fine.
Also bought a stainless “T” hose for the rear brakes

9-3 – Well, I pulled the motor/trans back out. I realized that my CVF serpentine system will not fit so I had to move the motor back a couple inches. Normally on the big blocks, you utilize the front 2 holes on the frame rails (there are 3 holes), and the bottom of the bracket mounts to the factory hole on the crossmember. This is the way I originally had it. But now since I wanted to move back the engine, you just can’t move the brackets back to the ‘rear’ 2 holes as the bottom of the bracket would end up off the crossmember.
So I got the bright idea to reverse the brackets so I can utilize the rear 2 holes. When you reverse the brackets, now the bottom of the bracket will be facing forward so it will end up in the middle of the crossmember.
So 2 new holes have to be drilled, The one on the crossmember and one the hole toward the firewall…since the bracket has to be slightly angled so the bracket sits straight.

I double-checked before the switch and after and spacing from edge of hole to edge of hole is 15″ so that’s good.
I also checked the measurement before and after the swap measuring from the rad crossmember to the center of the hole on the bracket, it went from 17″ to 19.5. So that’s good as well.
This should give me about 12″ spacing between the face of the radiator and the face of the head.
The CVF serpentine requires 8″ and my fan 3.5″
Hope it works out!

I also final blocked the outside of the doors, sanded the inside and painted them. Toyota silver with HOK clearcoat. Flattening agent was added so I got a matte finish.
Quarters were also blocked and reprimed. I’m pretty close to having those ready.

9-4 / 9-5 – Got the engine/trans back in. Looks like it will work as I did the mock setup with the radiator and the Black Magic electric fan and I have about 1/2″ clearance. It’s a shame you really won’t see the CFV serpentine setup…at least from the face of it. You’ll see some of it.

Installed the manifold. Used “The Right Stuff” on the China Walls. Used FelPro gaskets along with some sealant around all ports (cylinder head side only). Also put Permatex #2 sealant on all bolt threads.
Took some pics on the inside of galley showing the big rectangular ports of the BluePrint heads.
Manifold is a Edelbrock Air-Gap.
Dyno results shown..of course Blueprint uses a single plane manifold.

Also put in the track bar finally. Had to lower the tank. I think the CPP track bar bracket is angled incorrectly as I had to move it back about an inch from where it’s supposed to go. I’m using the CPP Deluxe Trac Bar.

September 11th, 2021 –
Finally got my tires in. I got them mounted on the Billet Specialties Wheels. 5×5
Working on the transmission lines. I’m bending my own using 5/16th brake lines.

First time rolling the frame outside!!!

A video I put together September 12th

September 14th – prepped and painted the grill surround. Had to do minor bodywork and reprime. Let it cook out in the sun, sanded, then painted. Looks great. Backside is very clean.
Finished wetsand and buffing the inner fenders which I painted last week (my first painted pieces). I’m sure you saw in July updates that I “thought” I was going with the Dodge B5 Blue (I had painted the inner fenders in this color)….well I changed my mind.
Went with Copperhead Pearl (Mango Tango) Dodge color. Always wanted an orange/copper color.
So I have the inner fenders, core support and grill surround painted. Only the inner fenders are completely done.
Got about 8 packages in the past couple days.
CPP Black Wilwood power booster and master cylinder
Billet Specialties valve cover breathers (black)
Power steering return line (Gates)
Some other goodies

September 15th
Finished the radiator support. Did some black details to it. Also finished the inner fenders along with the grill surround. Brought the support home and temporarily installed is to see how the radiator would sit and how much room, I will have between that and the CFV pulleys. I think I have JUST enough room. Thanks to me moving the motor back. HOPEFULLY I have enough room between the passenger valve cover and the firewall. Going to be very close.
Added a video above (September 12th)

September 16th. Dropped the rear floor out.