1972 Mercury Montego GT 429 Updates – November 2013

1972 Mercury Montego GT 429 Updates – November 2013

1972 Montego GT 429 Monthly Updates
 
All the links below include pics and info that shows work that was done during that particular month 9-2-2015 Article written by Chuck Green - Featured on the StreetLegalTV Online Magazine website. Scott Farrell's 72 Mercury Montego GT "Forgotten American Muscle"
Before Images (added 11/9/13)
July 2013 Updates | August Updates | September Updates | October Updates | November Updates
December Updates |2014 Updates January | February | March  | April | May | June | July | August 
| September | October | November | December
January 2015 / 2015-2016


My Car/Truck Videos | New parts boughtKnitted vinyl seat material
Cam specs - custom grind (spec by Randy 460 forum - grind by Lunati 
272/282@.006" - 225/233@.050" - 136/143@.200" - .320"/.312" lobe lift, (.576"/.562" with 1.8/1 ratio rocker arms), 109 separation; 107 intake centerline. Have a comment you'd like to post concerning the 72 Montego GT build?


My 1973 Montego MX (see monthly updates toward the top once you get to the page)

My 1966 Chevy C-10  (see monthly updates toward the top once you get to the page)



1972 Montego GT 429 – November Updates

11-1 Got my 9″ center section back
11-2 Welded the panels in the left quarter. The frame is now a roller!!!!
11-8-both quarters are now in primer
11-28 Inside is now painted

01 rear
11-1-13 Picked up my Ford 9″ center section. Went with a 3.25 gear
Alan’s Gearworks in Clearwater built the center section

02 rear
New gasket, center section, copper crush washers along with the traction lok modifier ready to go back in the rear

03 rear

04 rear

05 chassis
11-2-13 Installed the center section along with the axles. Had new bearings installed on the axles a couple weeks ago

06
Axles are installed

07 drums
Installed the drums – painted with Cast Blast

08 roller
Finally a roller
11-2-13 (3 months 1 week since I started the project. You can also see how the right quarter is coming along.
I installed the wheels that came on the car when I bought it. They are NOT the correct wheels. I’m just using these to be able to roll the frame around.

09 welded panels
11-2 Started the welding on the left quarter. I had my body guy (Adam) do the welding.
I’ll do the fiberglass and bodywork

10 welded panel
New panel I had made up. This has the same angles as the stock panel

11 weldedpanel
Here it is all welded up, and sand blasted. I also resanded the area around it

12 fiberglass
11-3 I put on some fiberglass matting and resin

20 rearend installed
11-3 Turned the frame around so we could get better pics of the rear.

[xyz-ips snippet=”1972-Mercury-Montego-GT”]

21 rearend

23 rearend

24 rearend

17 sway bar
11-6 Received my new Addco sway bar. Painted the smaller pieces in a cast color so it would look more original.

18 sway bar

16 left quarter
11-6 Bodywork on the left quarter

15 bodywork left quarter
11-7 Almost ready for primer

25 11 07 left qtr primed
11-7 Left quarter in primer

26 11 07 right qtr flare
Pic of the right quarter

28 11 07 right qtr primed
Right quarter blocked and reprimed

11 09 13 swaybar installed
11-9 Rear sway bar installed

11 14 13
11-14 Digging in (literately on removing the undercoating. I’ll probably just clean up the floor and re-undercoat. It must have had 5 undercoating jobs on it.
This stuff was thick!

01 111613 undercoating off

02 111613 undercoating off

03 111613 undercoating off

11 13 13
Firewall reference pic. Notice the wasps nest! 5 years of sitting around.

 

01 11 22 13 dash pulled
11-25 Out comes the dash

02 112213 dash pulled

04 112213 dash pulled

05 112313
The body in raw form

06 112313
A gutted firewall

07 112313
Results of a car that sat for 5 years+

10 112313

11 112313

 

inside painted

11-28-13 Painted the inside

30 floor parts
11-29 Painted the pieces that cover the wires going back to the trunk. These were right after painting.
They look gloss, but dried to a semi-gloss

31 floor pads
11-30 Started putting back together the parts I took out when I painted the interior. I cleaned the sound deadeners.
I will reuse most of them as they were in very nice shape, and very thick.

32 floor pads
I ran some speaker wire along with the rest of the wires (inc orig speaker wires) in anticipation that I will buy better speakers for the rear deck.