1972 Montego GT 429 - September 2014 Updates
I've been working on the engine bay along with the brakes.
I decided while I have the chance to go ahead and upgrade the brakes
Front brakes are now 12" brakes with lincoln caliper brackets
rear brakes are now rear disc brakes (instead of the factory drums)
I also upgraded the master cylinder (1976 Lincoln disc/disc)
Along with a full size Ford disc/disc proportional valve.
I also installed the ac condenser and drier along with the new Sanden compressor.
Also you can see I've been mocking up the AC lines. Ordered a AC hose crimping tool so I can do my own hoses.
I received back my original POA valve which I sent out and had gutted. I will be using a switch to run the ac.
Painted the calipers the same color as the car.
After making quite a few mods, the rear disc brakes are on. Still need to cut the stainless lines and reflare them.
e cables also need a little work
My new wheels. These are actually the fronts 17x8 4.5 bs. They look so small.
Rears are now being made and will be 18x10 5.5 bs
Billet Specialties. Even the back is polished. Very nice wheels!
Tires are 245/45/17 and 295/45/18 Nitto 555
Front caliper brackets. Had to send back my original slotted rotors as they were the incorrect rotors.
The bolted up fine, but the height of them were .3 off which made it so the calipers would not bolt on
Only one rotor will work - 72 Thunderbird with Lincoln caliper brackets.
Finding a 72 slotted and drilled rotor is impossible.
Lance from Royalty Rotors in CA has been helping me out.
My 66 Chevy C10 383 and my 72 Montego GT 521
Side view - 8-25
8-26 Working on the AC - POA valve is on.
9-27 Finished up the fittings on my ac hoses. I cut them and added the fittings myself
9-27. This shows the expansion valve along with the POA valave. The POA is actually a gutted valve for looks only.
You can see the elec switch at the very bottom of the pic which is now used to run the compressor. This is wired in series to the main wire that runs the AC compressor clutch. I bought the POA eliminator kit from Century Air
9-27 AC lines are done!!! All new 6, 8, and 10 lines. New fittings along with new O-rings for use with the R134
As you can see, I went with the true Sanden compressor. The original York is known to be a loud compressor.
It also is a HP hog as it takes about 14HP to run. The Sanden rotary only takes about 2HP.
9-28-14 The idler pulley holes were about an 1/8" off, so these showed. I removed the bracket and filled these and repainted the bracket
With the new Sanden system these 2 holes are not used. Only the one shown is used which is new hole that I drilled
Sunday - 9-28 - First look at the fender on the car. Just sitting on there to see how it fits. I'm sure I'll need to shim the rad support
9-29 Had my tires installed on the wheels last night (9-28)
Here is the first glimpse at what they will look like on the Montego.
I think it's perfect backspacing.
They messed up one of the rear tires so they had to buy a new one and said they are installing it today.
Once the new springs have settled if they don't go down another 1" or so, I may get some other springs.
These were the Moog 8531 springs.